One of the best, but probably most confusing at first when it comes to skincare would have to be acids. They are most popular and effective, because of their active ingredients. But without a doubt, if used correctly you will see a major improvement in your skin.
I have always heard great things about them, but my mind was a complete mess when I started using them. I felt as if I needed some specially written guide about what works for my skin type and what combinations can be used (I know The Ordinary wrote on their website how you are supposed to use them, but I am referring to an actual guide). It was as if I was preparing for a thesis. Well… after all the pain I have gone through and a lot of information read later, please let me introduce you to some precious information I have on this subject.
The first brand I tried was Deciem’s The ordinary and it is a very popular and affordable brand, with various products. One of the most popular acids at the time was Niacinamide & Zinc.
Niacinamide & Zinc
I must admit this is an incredible acid and having known the great benefits that it brings, I would have started using it earlier:
- it minimizes pores and regulates the oils in the skin
- it improves the skin texture and it helps with acne
- it works wonders for those who have acne-prone skin and not only
- It takes 4-6 weeks to notice any changes on the skin
Important note: You shouldn’t use this one in combination with Vitamin C.
It is never too early or too late to add Hyaluronic Acid to your routine. It’s a little miracle product indeed:
- it deeply hydrates and smooths the skin
- it prevents moisture loss
- it reduces the appearance of lines
- it is fast absorbing and based on my experience, you will notice the results after a few days
I must admit that before purchasing this one, I had to do a little bit of research. Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that chemically exfoliates the skin. I have sensitive skin and I was reluctant at first because I didn’t know how my skin would react to it, but I was more than happy with the results.
- it removes the dead skin cells
- it reduces any inflammation
- it improves skin’s texture
- It treats hyperpigmentation and reduces discoloration
One of the best-known skincare products would be salicylic acid. It’s not only affordable, but it helps with your blackheads and the appearance of your pores. Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to try The Ordinary’s salicylic acid, so I can’t make a comparison.
Regarding Revox’ salicylic acid:
- it calms the blemishes if you use the product overnight
- it’s an effective exfoliant
- it is recommended for uneven/prone to outbreak skin
Important note: I have mixed skin and it can be drying if you use it on the daily basis. Being an exfoliant, my recommendation would be to start using it a few times a week or when you need it.
Niacinamide’s one of the best-known ingredients for skin care and it is highly recommended. Well… to simplify its meaning, Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 that helps to reduce the appearance of spots on the skin and balances the sebum levels.
While using it, I noticed the following:
- it helped with my pores and blemishes
- it helped with the dryness
- left the skin feeling smoother
Important note: It will not be used along with Vitamin C, since it can hurt the skin. You must apply it once a day (I applied it during the evening, but you can do it in the morning as well, based on your schedule).
Glycolic acid Revox
Glycolic Acid it’s one of the most effective AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) and the one which is commonly used. Its molecules are the smallest among AHA so they are better absorbed. After using it daily, without having much documented it, my skin became very dehydrated, and then I discovered it was more effective when I used it twice a week accompanied by SPF 50 and hydrating cream.
- It accelerates the renewal of the skin
- It leaves the skin looking much more refreshed
- Tones the skin and it helps with wrinkles too
Skincare products are personal, but I hope you found this mini guide to acids useful and it will accompany you in your decision of making the right choice. Also, please do share with me if you have used them and what were your results! See you soon!